Provided services :
FGM input began with the assessment of the existing project and necessary actions to complete the site assessment of the selected area. The study focussed on the review of:
- Natural conditions: water quality and availability, soil conditions and occupation and pivot layout,
- Wells-drilling, location and specs, general farm mapping, civil work plan, roads and access,
- Preselected farming equipment, infrastructures and farm camp designs and location,
- Investor’s development schedule and extension strategy,
- Business plan and financials.
Based on these analysis and conclusions, FGM provided engineering services and a farm operation plan for the first year of operations. These services provided the client with:
- Adapted farm design and pivot layout, avoiding the installation of pivots in areas with very high salinity, unsuitable for forage crops,
- Organizational chart with specialized farm divisions,
- HR requirements, technical need, selection and training,
- Farming equipment upgraded for high quality forage production, proposal for additional infrastructure requirements,
- Crop pattern with list of inputs and specifications,
- Amendment of business plan, estimation of total investment, profitability and ROI.
FGM experience and technical support allowed to reshape the farm design to avoid unsuitable areas, to adapt the production to soil conditions, to invest in modern equipment for high quality production and to structure and train human resources of the project.
Since farm set-up, FGM provides management services and technical support to the project, with the following services:
- Follow-up of project progress and development operations on site,
- Crop planning, rotation plan,
- Direct decision-making and coordination of department managers and supervisors,
- Daily training of managers and supervisors to modern practices and work organization,
- Establishment of high quality standards,
- Daily training of farm operators to high-tech equipment,
- Optimal adjustment of farming equipment at field,
- Crop and irrigation monitoring, daily work organization,
- Organization of harvest operations and hay storage,
- Recording of technical and crop management data,
- Quality and procedures control,
- Spare part sourcing and forecast,
- Adapted equipment sourcing,
- Introduction of innovative solutions.
FGM continuous support
As a result of FGM involvement for over 2.5 years, the farm staff is 100% Sudanese with only 2 FGM expatriates for top management and reporting to the investor.
Among many other innovations, FGM implemented an incentive program to enhance supervisors and operators’ performances of HR department and initiated bale tagging for bale identification and stock and logistics management.
A major hydrogeological survey performed with a hydrogeologist allowed a better understanding and sizing of the irrigation system according to aquifer characteristics.
Satisfied with FGM support, the investor is looking at possible extension to this unique project in Sudan.